Southwest Chicken + Rice Bowls
We are OBSESSED!! 😍 Balanced nutritional POWERHOUSE ( but don’t tell anybody that! ) with FLAVOR way better than takeout!
Here’s your plan:
Double this recipe, and make 2 batches at a time.
One for dinner to serve immediately, the second half to put into glass storage containers and to pull out for DELICIOUS meals over the next few days.
Makes about 4 bowls
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 Tbsps avocado oil, or olive oil, divided
- 15 oz. black beans, drained and rinsed if using canned
- 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp taco seasoning (I have a good homemade taco seasoning recipe on the website!)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to your taste
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups water, or bone broth
- a small bunch of fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 fresh lime, juiced
- 2 cups lettuce of choice, shredded
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced or chopped
- extra topping ideas: pico de gallo, lime wedges, additional cilantro
- In a large saucepan whisk water/broth, 1 Tbsp oil, pinch sea salt, pepper and 2 teaspoons of the taco seasoning, then bring to the boil.
- Stir in rice and simmer, covered, for 15-17 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is just tender.
- Meanwhile, rub chicken breasts on both sides with 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning.
- Heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes per side, or until cooked through and no longer pink in the inside.
- Let chicken rest on a board for a few minutes, then slice it thin.
- Once the rice has cooled a bit stir in the fresh lime juice and cilantro leaves until combined well with the rice.
- To assemble the bowls, divide equally among 4 bowls: rice, chicken and beans over rice, lettuce, and avocado then top as desired.
These bowls are fantastic eaten immediately, but also great as meal prep. They stay well in the fridge if covered, for 3-4 days.
Leave a Comment Below: